“Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.”
The next time somebody tells you that setting goals is really a lot of hype, tell him this: if life is a journey, how will you get there if you don’t have an itinerary? Goals tell you where you are going, how you are going to get there and what you will do when you get there.
1. You have to decide what you want first of all.
2. Have a good plan of attack. Ask yourself:
- What do I know about this?
- What information do I have?
- What information do I need? Where can I get it?
- What skills do I need to master?
- What other resources should I use?
- Is this the best way to do it, or is there some other way?
3. Start small, but keep walking.
4. Set goals in small increments, complete with time, dates, amount, some details.
5. Be positive when stating your goals.
6. Spread out your goals.
7. Don’t underestimate yourself.
8. Remember that some fears are unfounded.
9. Write it down.
Source / and explanation of each step can be found on How to Set Goals - wikiHow
Download here a PDF template for the S.M.A.R.T goal setting method.
Even Seth Godin says little steps can take you to big places: "My best advice: win little battles. Get in the habit of winning, of shipping, of having customers that can't live without you. Once you've demonstrated you know how to do the art, then go after the windmills." From Seth's Blog: Don Quijote didn't ship.